I've been excited when I noticed that https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/17639 was implemeted in 7.3.0. Because I really need this feature I played around with it and found some issues.
First I describe my expectation here:
- selecting / exporting fields works identically to csv export in discovery module, but without the need for saving the saved search
- changing the columns / fields which should be exported can be done on the fly on dashboard, without the need to save the saved search or the dashboard
- works seamless in container environment
Issue 1: environment variables not translated for docker
I tried to activate it in my kubernetes environment by passing following environment:
- name: XPACK_REPORTING_CSV_ENABLEPANELACTIONDOWNLOAD value: "true"
-> it has no effect. I found out, that the parameter is not in the whitelist of the entrypoint wrapper yet.
Setting no fields only exports timestamp instead of all used fields
If I do not set any field in my saved search, I expect all fields to be exported to csv, which are used in my result set. That way it is done by discovery csv export where it is whitelisting all used fields in the report object in kibana index.
But on dashboard level only the timestamp is exported to csv if no fields are selected.
-> created issue: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/43978
Field names to be exported are taken from saved search and not from current dashboard view
If I use a different configuration on saved search and on dashboard, then the selected fields of saved search are used instead of the shown fields on dashboard.
- saved search: field hostname is selected.
- saved search embedded on dashboard: ipAddress is selected.
I expect to see timestamp and ipIddress in csv when exporting on dashboard level. But the csv contains timestamp and hostname. It doesn't matter if I save the dashboard or if I do the column changes without saving. But I expect that it should work without saving.
created this issue: https://github.com/elastic/kibana/issues/43977